Monday, August 5, 2013

30 Years and Reflecting

Last week I mentioned that I read a book called "What Alice Forgot" and wrote that there were a few questions it posed that I thought I should answer. The timing lined up pretty well with my 30th Birthday, so here it goes:

What would I think of who I am right now if I woke up and couldn't remember the last 10 years of my life?

In all honesty, if I lost my memory of the last 10 years, I'd probably wake up a little confused. How did I end up in San Francisco? How did I meet this tall, handsome man I call my husband? And why on earth do we pay $$$ for a one bedroom apartment? 

But if I look at my character, who I am as a woman, as me,  I think I'd be pretty happy with what I saw:
  • Ten years ago, my faith was just beginning to bud and I was learning so much of what of it meant to be a follower of Jesus. I think in the last 10 years, I've learned so much more. It wasn't just a stage in college after all! True, there are parts of my faith that I wish were stronger, but that just means I have more room to grow. I'm not finished yet!
  • I'm more sure of who I am, what I like and what I don't like. 
  • I might be a little surprised that I didn't end up with a job using my major, but I have found more of my true passions which have become hobbies of mine: photography, sewing, crafts, cooking, etc.
  • I might be surprised at how much I enjoy budgeting and how well it works for us (I was always a saver, but never knew where my money really went).
  • I'm thrilled with how close I am to my family regardless of miles that separate us.
  • I'd be a little surprised to learn of the places I've been in the past 10 years. For someone who didn't have the slightest inkling to travel, I've enjoyed it a lot! I've been to: Gambia, Mexico, Germany, Italy, France, the UK, and the Netherlands.
I like where I am in life right now - and the future looks exciting!

The second question I asked myself was: What would I tell my 20-year-old self if I had the chance?

Dear Silly Girl,
    You are a silly girl, but that's okay, because your husband loves you for it. I promise. Try to be yourself, don't worry about what others think so much. The reality is, it doesn't matter that much. I know you think it does.
    Relax. Life turns out pretty good. At least until you're 30.  But 30 is pretty great, you're married to a wonderful man who adores you, and you're about to have a child! Stop worrying about boys and marriage and all of that. You don't need to spend your time or your emotions on those college guys. Just be patient. Someone really does come and sweep you off your feet!
    Try to get along better with your mom. She loves you. She's very important to you and one day you'll wish you didn't yell at her on your wedding day. She was only trying to take a few photos! 
    Sarcasm doesn't get you very far, learn that now! Be respectful, genuine, real. Why do you try to cover your feelings up with bad jokes or laughing at others? It's mean. 
    Love Jesus. Seriously. He's real and He is the most important thing in your life. Seriously. I tell my friends that the one thing I wish I would have done differently in and after college was spend even more time in the Word and in prayer and less time worried about who I had a crush on that day. Because, Jesus knew my whole story from the beginning -- I didn't need to worry. I needed to know Him!
   Anyway, Silly Girl, right now, you are surrounded by great friends, family that loves you and a million adventures lie in your future. Be thankful for all you have and look forward to all that is to come. It's all pretty great! Relax a little, have fun, and be yourself.
                Love,
                 You @ 30.

No comments: