Friday, August 30, 2013

Baby Boy's Quilt: Dots and Stripes


This month's quilting project was for my good friend Bevin, who is expecting her first child in September. I finished it just in time for her baby shower this week, and now I can show you!

I found the fabric at JoAnn's this time around. I was looking for something that would be a fun, boyish, but not to babyish. Both Bevin and her husband have a very relaxed, colorful style and their home uses a lot of different patterns and textures. Although the blanket is for the baby, I wanted it to fit well in their home too. I had heard their nursery theme was "Forest" so I knew I wanted green and brown to be a part of the color scheme.
I fell in love with the orange fabric right away and then found the green polka-dotted fabric that matched pretty well. Then the colors from the green fabric was used as a reference as I hunted for the blue and brown. I had the yellow striped fabric at home already and thought it added a nice contrasting touch.

I wanted to try something new for the pattern, but I also didn't have a ton of time to try something super difficult. I decided to make blocks using three strips of fabric and then rotate the blocks  horizontally and vertically.  Then, to try another new (to me) idea, and to save a bit of time, I added two borders. I love the way it all turned out. I can't take all the credit though, Chris helped me line up the strips so the same colors didn't end up together.



I did a stitch in the ditch quiling stitch around the blogs and the orange border, but then did the free-motion stippling on the green border. The final size ended up being 31" x 37"



 Be blessed Baby H. Can't wait to meet you!

No comments: