Saturday, August 3, 2013

Reading up for Baby and Me


Instead of writing individual posts about the books I'm reading on pregnancy, childbirth, and parenting I thought I'd lump them together. I started reading about pregnancy and doulas even before we were expecting, but I've lost track of those titles. The titles below are the books that I've read while pregnant.

The Girlfriend's Guide to Pregnancy

My sister gave me "The Girlfriend's Guide to Pregnancy" by Vicki Iovine when she suspected I was pregnant in February. I couldn't hide the fact that I was exhausted and didn't feel well and she snuck it in my bag before I flew home. She kept my secret well.

This book, although a little old and outdated was an enjoyable read. I laughed out loud numerous times and learned a lot about what was to come. Iovine didn't use any sort of technical or medical language but really shared as a girlfriend would. So, not something that you should take as medical advice at all, but a fun read to put your mind at ease (and helps you feel a little more normal).


The Happiest Baby on the Block
I loved this book. I had skimmed it a while ago when I saw my sister reading it, but I absolutely devoured it a few weeks ago. I haven't put it to the test yet (obviously), but I feel much more prepared to handle a fussy baby than I did before.
The concept of the 4th trimester made a lot of sense to me and the process he lays out to calm the infant seem really manageable. That said, I may feel differently when the baby has been fussing for hours!
I recently received the video that goes along with the book but haven't watched that yet.

What to Expect When Your Expecting
This is probably the most well known title when it comes to preparing to have a child. A friend lent her copy to me and I've skimmed parts and devoured other parts. I haven't read too far ahead of where I am in my pregnancy. I usually refer to it when I think something might be wrong or I'm experiencing something new.  It's not exactly a medical book but it's fairly all-encompassing of the pregnancy experience.  Also, I thought the movie by the same title was funny.

Hypnobirthing
During one of my check-ups, my midwife mentioned how helpful the hypnobirthing method had been for several of her patience. She gave me information on a local class and as I skeptically looked into it, I was shocked that the class was several hundreds of dollars. I decided to read more about it in this book - Hypnobirthing: The Mongan Method - and see if taking a class might be worth the investment. It was interesting and gave several helpful ideas, some of which I may implement in my labor, but I wasn't sure this method was for me . . .

Natural Childbirth the Bradley Way
I found this book to be more in line with the type of birth I had been imagining. It's more focused on husband-coaching and relaxation than the breathe-focused Lamaze method. They go into quite a few techniques and give you practice homework too. I have to have my husband read it before we can start practicing, but I'm hopeful this method will work well.

No comments: