Saturday, August 3, 2013

What Alice Forgot



Last week, I read a blog from a friend of mine about this book, What Alice Forgot by Liane Moriarty. It sounded interesting and her blog post about it was really well written. Check it out!

Anyway, my sister saw me reading the blog and commented that she owned the book and I should read it. So, the morning I was to fly out, I grabbed the book and started reading. I finished the first half before I landed in San Francisco! I couldn't put it down.

The story is about a woman, Alice, who falls and hits her head during a spin class. She wakes up with complete memory loss of the last 10 years. As she discovers what her life is like now, she's surprised at who she has become and where her life is headed.

She wakes up thinking she's pregnant with her first child only to find out that she actually has three children and her marriage is falling apart. As she gets to know her children all over again, she tries to make things right with her spouse and other estranged family.

Reading the book, as engaging as it was, was a little emotional for me. Can you imagine waking up and finding out your marriage (which is still new to you in your mind) is actually failing and your husband sort of despises you? OMG. I can't imagine it. Or if I do, I start crying.

Other than those thoughts, I really liked the book.

In my friend's blog, she reflected on what she would say to her 10-years-younger self, and I thought that was very fitting and a great idea. As I read the book, two questions kept cropping up in my mind: What would I think of who I am right now if I woke up and had lost the last 10 years of my memory? and What would I tell my 20-year-old self if I had the chance?

I think I'll answer those two questions this weekend as I celebrate my 30th birthday! Yep, I'm telling you in advance... I'm turning 30.

No comments: