Thursday, February 23, 2012

Custom Designed Wrapping Paper

I attended a baby shower this evening for a friend from church. I had no problem making the card and buying the gift (I enjoyed doing both of those things quite a bit!) but when it came to wrapping it up, I was at a loss. I hadn't picked up a gift bag or baby-themed wrapping paper and didn't want to run back to the store to get it.

I've used paper bags to mail packages before, usually using them as a wrapping around an ugly box or something. I usually have to flip in so the outside of the bag with all the logos and wording is on the inside.

When I was younger, my mom taught me how to make a little gift bag out of wrapping paper.

I decided to put these two ideas together and make a small gift bag out of a grocery bag. It was a total disaster! Turns out the creases in the paper bag don't go anywhere even when you try to make new folds. Wrapping paper is so much lighter and easier to fold.

Option two was to just wrap the gift in the paper bag without a box and do my best with those darn creases. That didn't look too impressive (especially when I was thinking about the other gift packaging that was sure to be at the party).

Thankfully, my creative mind was working over time trying to make this work and I noticed my Trader Joe's grocery bags were covered in blue graphics - perfect for a little boy's gift. I cut out the blue wave, the seagull, and changed up the letters from "Reusable" and "Recycle" to make "Caleb."

It turned out pretty great if I do say so myself!


No comments: