Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Four Years and Counting

Last Thursday marked our 4th wedding anniversary. It's hard to believe another year has come and gone.  I'll probably always feel that way . . . that the year passes very quickly. Chris surprised me with a night out after work on Friday. We headed downtown to a little alleyway crowded with restaurants. As soon as I saw it, I knew where we were! A friend had told me about this little part of the city and I mentioned it to Chris a while ago, but had completely forgotten all about it. (He knew I would). Belden Place - the French Quarter of San Francisco - looks like the streets we walked in Paris and parts of Rome. It was so fun to be brought back to memories of Europe--the dining experience anyway.


We walked by each restaurant, glancing at their menus and finally decided on one called Taverna. Although we could have sat outside, we decided to go upstairs where it was a little quieter. Chris enjoyed delicious ravioli and I had the braised short rib. Dinner was delicious, but the best part about our anniversary dates is always the conversation. We spend time reflecting on the past year and looking forward to the next. We talk about dreams and goals, desires and fears. Its a conversation I look forward to every year.

This past year was a big year for us . . .

We spent the first part of the past year focused on saving our pennies for our trip to Europe, which we took in September. Chris had I have traveled together domestically before but this had been our first international experience. Visiting seven cities in fourteen days made for a great adventure and was definitely one of the highlights of our year. There were several opportunities to learn more about each other during the long train rides and those rare moments of stress. But we came home with thankful hearts that we got to see everything we had hoped to see and that we could share the experience together.  It was really a great time and we both look back with fond memories of the sites we saw and our time with each other.

The second half of the year had a completely different focus . . . the expansion of our family! With each passing month we find ourselves extremely excited to become parents, but also a little reluctant to let go of this uninterrupted one-on-one time we have with each other. We're preparing our apartment for our little one as well as trying to prepare our marriage for the upcoming changes. I know it will take more effort to make each other the priority as our sleep and schedules change; we really want to be intentional. (I say this now. . . please ask in six months how it's going!)

I am looking forward to what our new family life will be like. I'm looking forward seeing my husband  grow into the new role of a father. There will be many changes for us professionally, most of which are unknown at this point. The next year will be very different from the last four, that's for sure.

Another adventure awaits!

No comments: