Sunday, September 18, 2011

Let the Sewing Begin

March 6, 2011

A few of my friends and I have recently gotten into sewing. We had talked about starting projects for a while but hadn't actually gotten very far. Then one day I got a post card in the mail advertising the Sew, Craft and Quilting Expo in a nearby city. Well, that was the only push we needed! The three of us attended this Expo having no idea what we were getting into. Our eyes lit up and ideas started forming as we saw booth after booth of beautiful fabrics and project samples. We came home with more fabric than we knew what to do with and were excited to start.

We got together this last weekend to work on our various projects. I must admit, that sewing with a group is way more fun than doing it by yourself. I had hoped to take a few photos to document the party but I was so caught up in my project that I completely forgot. So, words will have to do for now. (My apologies.)

My first project is a quilted tree skirt. Last Christmas, I kept my eyes peeled for Christmas decorates since we now have our own place, but I couldn't find one that I really liked. And since I had watched my mom sew our tree skirt and matching stockings when I was a little girl, I knew I could do that too. I had seen an sample of one at this expo we attended and thought it would be the perfect project to get 1) get me back into sewing, 2) introduce me to quilting (yikes!) and 3) provide me with a tree skirt for next year!

I purchased a few tools and some material at the expo and finished up my fabric purchases at JoAnn Fabric the following weekend. I have learned that I'm not at all confident in picking out fabric; I find it challenging to find complementary prints and shades that will look good when pieced together. It's very hard for me to visualize the end product when looking at numerous bolts of fabric.

Also, I realized that this would end up being the most expensive tree skirt I'd ever seen. I just have to remind myself that this is about learning how to sew (again), hanging out with friends and developing a new hobby; it's not all about a tree skirt or an end product.

No comments: