Sunday, September 25, 2011

New Camera Lens

For a while now, I've been saving up for a new lens for my camera. I've had my camera since 2008 with one lens. It's a great lens, very functional. It has such a wide focal range that I can really shoot anything. But it does have its limitations - like low light situations and the focus is not as sharp as I would like sometimes. As with any large purchase I did a lot of research on what type of lens I should get. There were so many questions: What would I want to use it for? What are my priorities? How much am I willing to spend? What do I want my photos to look like? And on and on. How am I suppose to know the answers to all of those questions? I'm just an amateur. I don't have a vision statement for my photography!

Well, after reading reviews and talking to other photographers, I made my decision. On Saturday Chris and I went to three different camera shops to try out different lenses and talk with the salesmen to see if what my online research said was in fact true when I held the lens in my own hands. It was!

I needed one more day to make my final decision . . . to spending money on myself. And today I bought it! It's a 50mm 1.4 lens which means I can take some pretty sharp portrait-style photos. It's also much smaller than my previous lens so my camera looks a little smaller and is much lighter to carry! Check out some of the shots Chris and I took in Japantown this afternoon:




I still have a lot to learn about this new lens but I'm excited to grow in my photography skills!

1 comment:

Molly said...

that picture of you is so adorable! I love your hair.