Monday, November 7, 2011

thankful for shoe boxes

Yesterday I announced that I was joining the "30 Thankful Days" blogging adventure. Meaning I will be writing a blog each day giving for thanks for something. So, here is my Thankful Day 1 blog post.



Today I am thankful for shoe boxes. Okay, more specifically, I am thankful that an organization called Samaritan's Purse has set up an annual project called "Operation Christmas Child" that allows us to bless needy children around the world. I've participated in this project for several years. My girl's Bible study did one together in college, I did one with my "little sister" a few years ago, and Chris and I have done them together a couple of times. I think it's a great project to do with someone else although you can totally do it by yourself. It's fun to gather different items that you think a little boy or girl will need and enjoy.  

I'm amazed at all the stuff we have at our finger tips here in America -- that I can spend very little money and fill up an entire shoe box with things that I use and enjoy on a daily basis. Things like a toothbrush, toothpaste, comb, headbands, crayons, coloring book, notebooks, pens, games, toys, etc. I am so thankful that a) I have these things and b) can easily bless someone else with these things.

I'm also thankful for my husband who found and wrapped the shoe box for me!

2 comments:

dawn said...

I love Operation Christmas Child! It's great for kids to do to think about a child somewhere else who lives a very different than their own. Good for you for doing it!

LeAnn said...

I too love operation Christmas child! We did it for years at my kids school and it has been such a blessing. Sounds like your hubby is a good one. :)