Sunday, November 6, 2011

Pumpkin season!

Summer is really my favorite season when speaking about weather but Fall is definitely my favorite season when speaking about food. I know a lot of people look forward to the flavored lattes and spiced drinks but I look forward to the baking. Pumpkin is my favorite! It doesn't really matter what it is, but if it takes like pumpkin or smells like pumpkin I'll take it (and eat it).

Last week I made pumpkin ice cream (inspired by Trader Joe's). I have to say it turned out pretty good. I served it with graham cracker crumbs and whipped topping and it tasted like a chilled pie -- so delicious!

This weekend I made pumpkin bread. I've had this recipe for years. It was given to me during the fall I spent in Gambia by my roommate who I think got it from her mother. We were in dire need of fall tasting foods and the reminder that it really was thanksgiving that November. It is difficult to celebrate some of our holidays when your in a tropical, foreign land.

Anyway, back to the pumpkin bread. The batter made two loves. Loaf one was a disaster coming out of the pan which wasn't so bad because that meant we could eat it right away. Loaf two was much more presentable -- so here it is:




I have never been able to get my breads to rise very well -- they always look awesome in the pan but they deflate . . . at least these didn't cave in like last time!

And it tastes delicious no matter what it looks like so I'm not complaining.

Pumpkin Bread (makes two loaves):

Beat together the following 4 ingredients:
3 beaten eggs
3/4 cup oil
3/4 cup water
1 1/2 cups pureed pumpkin (I used canned)

Then add:
2 1/2 cups sugar
2 1/2 cups flour
1 1/8 teaspoons salt
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
3/4 teaspoons each of cloves, cinnamon and nutmeg

Mix until blended, pour in two loaf pans and bake at 325 for 1 hour.

I hope you are enjoying this fall season as much as I am!

No comments: